Thursday 28 March 2013

"A Royale with Cheese!"

My top 5 Movie Food Scenes


A lot of the romance of these scenes for me has to come from the fact a few of them are in my top movies of all time, so therefore a little biased. Hell, it's my blog so you'll just have deal with it. The inspiration for this came as I was watching The Godfather this week and It's made it onto the list.


5. John Candy - Uncle Buck- Pancakes & Toast! 

The late great John Candy plays ineligible bachelor and university of lifer 'Buck Russell' who's reluctantly given the task of looking after his nephew & nieces. He serves up giant birthday pancakes & toast much to the amazement of a young Macaulay Culkin. "This is where you separate the men from the boys." he says, as he tosses one with a giant snow shovel. Heston Blumenthal are you watching? I could only find the trailer for this one but the pancake is in there. 




4. Al Pacino & Johnny Depp - Donnie Brasco - 'Punch or Pinch' 

This the legendary story of mafia infiltration by FBI agent Jospeph D. Pistone a.k.a Donnie Brasco (Depp). In it an hillarious scene where Benjamin 'Lefty' Ruggiero (Pacino) shows Donnie how to make his Coq au Vin. Lefty is a tough old school wiseguy loaded with chauvinism explaining how, "Wherever you go the best cooks are men." His partner Annette admits, "I can't cook special like Benny." All this before he sets fire to the stove and cowardly directs her to put out the flames. Funny? Forgeeeddaaaaboutit! 



3. Richard S. Castellano - The Godfather - Clemenza's Meatballs

One of the greatest films of all time had to have a great food scene, right? In fact there's a couple for me but I chose the sweet one a opposed to the violent one. Michael Corleone (Al Pacino) is enduring an uncomfortable telephone conversation with future wife Kay, who is trying to squeeze an 'I love you' out of him in a room full of hungry henchmen. One of those is hit-man 'Clemenza' (Castellano) who is now chef, and after mocking him summons Michael to come learn something. "You never know you might have to cook for 20 guys someday." Tell me about it Clem. Tell me about it.  




2. John Travolta & Uma Thurman - Pulp Fiction - Jack Rabbit Slims

This is one of my favourite movie scenes of all time regardless of any food, and there's more than a couple to chose from in the whole movie. But, for me this is fantastic. Cool, sexy, romantic, funny, uncomfortable, and all washed down with a $5 shake. God damn! Not the full scene to its jiving end so you'll just have to go watch it. Again and again. 




1. Ray Liotta - Goodfellas - Dinner in Prison


Predictable? Probably. My favourite movie of all time and the pleasure it brings me is indescribable and I will never get bored of watching it. Despite the prison backdrop, it shows the Italian love and passion that goes into every meal. The critique of the sauce, the razor cut garlic system, bread, wine, "Now we can eat!" All the the tune of 'Beyond the Sea sung by Bobby Darin. Magical. 





What are your favourite foodie scenes of all time? 

No comments:

Post a Comment